Minyan of Comfort is a joint project of the FJMC and the Cantors Assembly. The project involves a lay training initiative coupled with the publication Creating a Minyan of Comfort.
The training and accompanying publication are designed to:
- Assist synagogues in developing a corps of trained shiva minyanim lay leaders
- Clarify and share community minhag and halacha
- Gain familiarity with the various siddurim and other booklets that are often used in a shiva minyan
- Learn the traditional nusach for each service (e.g. Mincha; Ma’ariv)
- Gain awareness of any special liturgical needs (e.g. Rosh Chodesh; Al HaNisim; Omer; etc.)
- Understand the role of menachem avel, comforter of the bereaved
- Encourage clubs to share and collaborate on their own Minyan of Comfort implementations
Lay training is done by regional FJMC/Cantors Assembly programs. These are typically led by a Cantor or Rabbi and can be arranged through your FJMC Region President or by contacting the FJMC.
Coordinators of this initiative are: Orin Rotman firstname.lastname@example.org and Sandy Victor email@example.com.